Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Domingo: The Marvel

I first saw Placido Domingo at the Met on March 26, 1977--I actually didn't remember the date but used the Met's indispensable online Archives feature to look it up--in Andrea Chenier. I can't say he sang the role with the headlong abandon of some other interpreters, but his sound, with his distinctive baritonal timbre, exemplary legato and hall-embracing power was unforgettable. When I saw his Cyrano a few seasons back I marveled at how well preserved his instrument was and thought that this would no doubt be the last time I heard him live.

And now here it is, 2007, 30 years after I first saw him, and he's still singing, and I'm still getting a chance to hear him. I attended last night's Iphigenie en Tauride, and his voice, if not as supple, is still something of a wonder; he can still bring it when he needs to, he hasn't developed a beat or a wobble, and his musicianship is as strong as ever. So now I am not going to say this is the last time I'll get to hear him live--he will no doubt still be singing in five, ten, fifteen years!