Monday, January 14, 2008

I'm Sick of Seeing New York City Destroyed

Before 9/11, I, like many other people, was not immune to the fantasy thrill of seeing New York City "destroyed" in movies such as Independence Day. But now I'm more than just tired of it. I think it's sick, cruel, and insensitive. Not to mention cynical. Filmmakers can hide behind the excuse of fantasy, but they know that they're playing on the residual horror of 9/11. Since that dreadful day in 2001 we've had The Day After Tomorrow and War of the Worlds and most recently I Am Legend and the upcoming Cloverfield. I'm sure I'm leaving a lot more out.

If the wound weren't still so raw, these films would simply be recycling a visual cliché. Instead it's offensive. I'm tired of feeling beat up. Find another city to pick on.