Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Welcome

It's no doubt fair to say that had this blog not existed, no one would be rushing to invent it.

My aim is to comment on those things that mean the most to me--music (primarily opera and classical) and literature--and to do so in a way that doesn't merely amplify what is already being said around the blogosphere. My background is as a book editor, and my interests are wide-ranging.

As for the blog's title, it's a reference to the famous company known to all record collectors. I chose it because it evokes both music and the written word, and also because "company" implies inclusiveness. I would like to believe that those who might be inclined to read this blog are members of the "gramophone and typewriter company," metaphorical and virtual though it may be.

Record collectors often refer to the Gramophone and Typewriter Co. by its initials, "G&T." Which has always amused me, as it's also a way of referring to a gin and tonic, one of the great drinks.